Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Sept. 3: Back to school!

I have the fondest memories of the back-to-school phenomenon. From elementary through middle school and high school, I always looked forward to going back to school. I dreamed about it, plotted outfits and hairstyles, fantasized about who I'd see (boys?) and talk to, arranged and rearranged the school supplies, lost sleep the night before... there was a great deal of excitement around the first day. It undoubtedly revolved mostly around the social aspects (chat chat chat chat), but I was not opposed to a little learning, too.

Back-to-school shopping with my mom was always a joy. (Well, maybe the year where I was arm-twisted into wearing dresses one day of every week--seventh grade--wasn't such a *joy,* but other than that...) I think the older I got, the more fun it was--meaning, the less I dressed like an absolute tomboy, the more fun it was to pick out clothes. And even though the fall weather where I grew up in British Columbia stayed pretty warm and pleasant through September, it changed quickly afterward and stocking up on sweaters and corduroys early was a must. I can conjure up so quickly my favorite outfits from each year; I know this makes me sound like a little fashionista, but that's not how I remember it... I just really liked my outfits!

Our junior!

When I reminded Seth yesterday to get his school supplies together, and pick out his first-day-of-school outfit, both he and husband chortled and gave me a "whatever" kind of male reaction. Sigh. So I satisfied that little part of myself by picking out MY back-to-school (um, work) outfit for today.

The back-to-school anticipation that I've maintained in my life involves more than just the love of shopping. I'm a big fan of the school supplies angle--new pens! blank composition books! pencil cases! backpacks!--and everything that these supplies imply: this is a fresh start, and blank slate, a new year waiting to be the best it can be. I feel this way often at the start of a new calendar year (as many a resolution blog post can attest to), at the start of a new month, and even though it's now 23 years since I last started a school year, I still feel that way as fall begins and kids head back to the classroom.

This convocation speech has been shared widely on social media, but I can't help post it here for posterity and a reminder to myself. I love the sentiment that permeates the talk: be kind. Reading it took me back to situations in school where his words about regretting the failures of kindness really struck a nerve. There wasn't always overt meanness, but simply a lack of kindness. It's too easy to say that's just the way kids are; yes, there's a sensitivity that maturity brings. But I do believe that kids can be and are kind, if that is the culture and language that surrounds them.

In some ways, as I read George Saunders' speech, I thought, "I could have written this" about the regret of failures of kindness. There were at a number of examples in elementary school where a combination of subpar social skills and intellectual acuity brought scrutiny and criticism from peers. I have long regretted any role I played in making any fellow student feel "less than." Later, in high school as I looked back on those years, I was able to acknowledge to myself that I am capable of being less than kind. Owning that that propelled me forward into being more kind to those around me; especially those who may be on the fringes of social acceptance. I wish I could say I achieve it every day, but it certainly is a goal I strive for.

My wish for every kid I know is to live out the possibility of kindness this school year. To take the moment to reach out and actively be the friend and support, even just the smile, that makes someone's day better.

What would you wish for your kids, this school year? If you don't have kids in school, what would you like to see our young people focus on as they learn this year?




Jen and I are blog challenging throughout September. You can catch her blog over at Stuff Jen Says. If you want to write along with us, give me a shout and I'll send you the blog prompts.

5 comments:

  1. Lovely! I, too, love school beginnings--and kindness and kids and crips autumn air and all that fall brings. :) AND, I want in on this blog challenge too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved back-to-school shopping! It's right up there with Easter dress (and shoes, purse, gloves and hat) shopping! And I TOTALLY loved the crisp, white paper (college ruled, of course), the new #2 pencils (Tigonderoga, specifically), picking out a new lunch box (can't you remember the smell of the INSIDE of your lunch box at lunchtime?). The nervous, anticipation...even choosing your desk, and then promptly organizing it (a favorite of mine), just so. Wow...you really triggered some memories for me. I could go on and on. I'm not sure my kids are going to feel the same nostalgia I do. But I hope so. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved back-to-school shopping! It's right up there with Easter dress (and shoes, purse, gloves and hat) shopping! And I TOTALLY loved the crisp, white paper (college ruled, of course), the new #2 pencils (Tigonderoga, specifically), picking out a new lunch box (can't you remember the smell of the INSIDE of your lunch box at lunchtime?). The nervous, anticipation...even choosing your desk, and then promptly organizing it (a favorite of mine), just so. Wow...you really triggered some memories for me. I could go on and on. I'm not sure my kids are going to feel the same nostalgia I do. But I hope so. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a kid I loved that first morning of a new school year, walking in the cool, crisp air, with clean notebooks tucked under my arm. Prairie mornings at the beginning of September can have a bit of a tang to them so I knew my days of socks would soon graduate to long socks and then stockings (oh yuk!!) So that morning I walked to school savouring each moment of that freedom. Ooooo, fresh!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your high school junior there in that photo. My mother calls him a 'dear boy'. He is that and so much more. Thanks for the memories, Seth!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs