Thursday, May 13, 2010

Thursday 13: 13 rhubarb recipes I'd like to take out for a spin!


Is there a more vibrant and wondrous sign of spring than rhubarb? 

In my fridge there is a big pile of rhubarb and I'm very much looking forward to cooking with it this weekend. But what shall I make? My usual go-tos include a rhubarb crisp (popular with the husband) and rhubarb custard pie (less popular with the husband but and old family standby for me), but I'm feeling a bit experimental... and so, a thorough search of tastespotting turned up some real possibilities...

Thirteen frontrunners for my Rhubarb Dessert Extravaganza of 2010:


1. Rhubarb upside down cake. Looks pretty good, doesn't it? I think it might just need a little a la mode action though...


2.  Rhubarb curd. I don't know if this counts as dessert all on its own, though it does look good enough to eat out of the jar. The serving suggestion here is for curd to hold two macarons together. Not a bad idea either.



3. Rhubarb brown butter bars. Yum.


4. Rhubarb cream pie. Well, if I were going to make a pie, I'd go ahead and make my mom's rhubarb custard pie, which is The. Best. Pie. Ever. But this does look pretty.


5. Rhubarb quick bread. Well, it looks good. But it might just look a little too healthy...


6. Blueberry rhubarb crisp. This is a shake-up of the regular crisp routine, and we do have plenty of frozen blueberries on hand... The pistachios in the crisp topping is a brilliant addition too.


7. Rhubarb cake. I have a thing with fruit and cake, where I like to get the proportion of fruit to cake just so... this one looks like it could be just the ratio I like (lots of fruit)!


8. Rhubarb baked oatmeal. Probably not a real dessert option, but maybe a way to bring dessert into the breakfast realm? Oh yes!


9. Rhubarb vegan custard. A unique take on custard, with coconut milk and passion fruit. Sounds pretty tropical and delicious to me!


10. Bakewell tart. In honor of a new Prime Minister? Possibly. This one is entirely British, and I've always wanted to give it a try. Rhubarb might be the fruit to do it with...


11. Rhubarb shortcake. I love this idea. I'm a shortcake freak anyway, but usually save it for strawberries... I could always make it rhubarb AND strawberry...


12. Newtons. Yum. Might be just a bit too cookie-ish to really put in the DESSERT category, but looks like a recipe to take out for a spin sometime.


13. Rhubarb custard souffle. Just might have saved the best for last. Looks a little pudding, a little custard, maybe even a little cake. Oh yes.

So, which one (or ones...) should I make? Let me know your favorites in the comments.

And for more Thursday 13s, go here. Have a great Thursday!

9 comments:

  1. I so love rhubarb desserts but have never tried to make it! This summer I'm definitely going to try a few recipes. Thanks for the list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for including me in the round up. The quick bread is healthy but I have some unhealthy things over there too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look like some awesome recipes to try out. Every time I see rhubarb in the market the shiny pinkish-red stalks wink at me and look so enticing but I never buy them because I am not sure what to do with them. Will have to try out one of these recipes. Thanks for the links!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love rhubarb thanks for sharing all the great ideas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh heavenly desserts!!! Make them all...invite me down and we will do it up royally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never eaten rhubarb anything. I wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at those pretty heart shaped dishes! Love those! I found a recipe for pulled pork that used rhubarb...it was flippin' AWESOME! Here it is:

    http://coconutlime.blogspot.com/2010/04/rhubarb-ginger-pulled-pork.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Makes my mouth water. Such good suggestions. I would love some rhubarb pie... and some cake... and some crisp! I can't spell it right, but some German rhubarb kukan is always a hit.

    Seeing the rhubarb upside down cake made me wonder if a twist including pineapple would work? That would give it the sweetening, right? My mother's favorite was to mix strawberries with rhubarb in the crisp or pie.

    What a great idea for TT.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You stopped by my blog a few weeks ago and I just wanted to say thanks for visiting! You have an AWESOME blog here!

    I love rhubarb and my mom always has tons of it - definitely going to keep this T13 in mind! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs