Friday, May 14, 2010

Friday night grateful moment


This was one of those weeks where in the middle I had a thought of "Hmmm, wonder what I'll be able to concoct for gratefulness this week." Not a bad week, but a hard week for some close to me, and for me, in spite of the sunshine, somewhat blah. But! Not to be deterred. The gods of gratefulness must be appeased. Here I go...

OK, so how about that sunshine? Seems like it's been so long in coming, it's such a novelty. Of course, when I finally got out in it for a substantial period of yard time, I kind of overdid it, but all's well, and I'm ever so grateful that spring finally seems to have arrived!

I'm grateful for husband and our communication. He is good to put up with me. That's all I'm going to say about that.

I'm grateful that Seth's home tonight, and that we have a lovely family weekend ahead.

And I'm grateful for our little family traditions... dinner together every night, and for Friday night: haystacks. It's just our thang.

For water, I am especially grateful. The little things that all of a sudden become big things when they aren't around... we had some pump issues again this week, the first real warm week that we need water for something other than drinking and bathing. I don't know if we've got it solved, and in fact I'm not exactly sure that anyone (including the experts) really know what the problem actually is, but for now I'm going to be grateful for our water, and for gracious relatives who live a hop-and-a-skip away in the case of emergency showers!

I'm grateful that whatever the bug was that I felt coming on Monday afternoon, it didn't spiral into something awful. Instead it stuck around somewhat annoyingly and turned into what feels like allergies--lots of sneezing and a stuffy nose--but other than the heavy head, I am fine enough.

I'm grateful for Zicam. I am. It really helped me sleep through a couple of my more stuffy/unwell nights. Not to be underestimated!


I'm grateful that the strawberries that are in the supermarket are getting closer and closer to the real thing--they may even be red almost all the way through! Wow. That's progress. I might even be compelled to put some with that glorious rhubarb that's in the fridge, but husband might consider that blasphemy... I may have to make TWO desserts. I know, the sacrifices I make...


I'm grateful for our goofy dogs and their distinct personalities and quirks. Ruby's silly prance when she sees Baily and Harley (two dogs belonging to separate neighbors) getting to know each other in the alfalfa field. Chief's baleful eyes (see them in the picture above? He's working it, don't you think?) when I scold him for chasing the bunnies after I've left the garage door open just a smidge too long! Jack's ever-present need to precede me to the back door, like a butler. And Darby, for her sweet smile (yes, she does), even as she's trying to drive off Ruby from anyone's attention. They are good company, and they've heard many a one-sided conversation from me out there in the yard. Good companions, all.

I'm grateful for friendship. For connections old and new, funny texts, sweet and thoughtful emails and surprise phone calls. And phone calls that need to be made... I've got a few of those too! The saying above I saw somewhere online and tucked away, and then saw an old high school friend post on Facebook this past week--it really resonated with me for some reason. I know, everyone wants to believe they are special. Guess what, you are!

For the end of the school year, I'm especially grateful. I'm all for beginnings and starts and all that good stuff. But right about the middle of May, I'm ready for it all to be over. And I think I can hear a big "Aye aye" from the little guy too. Time to put a fork in it and move on.

I'm thankful for color and creativity, and all the inspiration I see in the world around me. I think I need to do another Etsy Thursday 13 soon... that place is just wild with fabulous ideas.

And I'm so grateful for stories that touch the heart. I did not expect to be so moved by the clip below, of a man reunited with a gorilla he'd raised. Just precious. I had to share.



May your weekend bring you all that you need. And if you get more than that, consider yourself doubly blessed and send a little over here too!

P.S. I can't remember for the life of me where I found that Spring is Back image. If it's yours, let me know and I'll credit you. Promise.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't watch the gorilla video because I'm NOT an ape fan (sorry). But I have to share this little story... my friend Barb dated a guy who once had a pet tiger as a cub. When it got too big to live in the city, he gave it to a small zoo, and she once went with him to see the tiger years later. As they walked toward the fence, the tiger ran to it, stretched up against it, and started purring--he remembered the guy and was THAT happy to see him again. So sweet. I love when big kitties act like household kitties. :)

    Have a great weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weeks have a way of going by too quickly, don't they? And they do tend to take on a life of their own, plowing ahead, leaving us breathless in their wake...

    Hope you had a restful Sabbath and now on to another opportunity...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How deeply grateful I was throughout my week for having had made contact with you at the start of it...your sympathetic words and support and humor carried me through! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. many of those things I'm grateful for, too...especially yummy strawberries & my dogs!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs