Thursday, May 6, 2010

Thursday 13: Teacher appreciation week

This week is Teacher Appreciation Week, and in honor of Seth's teachers this year (many of whom I am particularly fond) and in remembrance of some of my favorite teachers, I found 13 teacher-oriented quotes to share.


The teacher who is indeed wise does not bid you to enter the house of his wisdom but rather leads you to the threshold of your mind.
-Khalil Gibran

None of us got where we are solely by pulling ourselves up by our bootstraps. We got here because somebody--a parent, a teacher, an Ivy League crony or a few nuns--bent down and helped us pick up our boots.
-Thurgood Marshall

Education is the best provision for the journey to old age.
-Aristotle

A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops.
-Henry Adams

A good teacher is like a candle: it consumes itself to light the way for others.
-Anonymous

Education is the best provision for the journey to old age.
-Aristotle

In teaching you cannot see the fruit of a day's work. It is invisible and remains so, maybe for twenty years.
-Jacques Barzun

Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
-Malcolm Forbes

One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings. The curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child.
-Carl Jung

Teaching is the profession that teaches all the other professions.
-Author Unknown

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.
-William A. Ward

Be an opener of doors for such as come after thee.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge.
-Albert Einstein

And for good measure, an extra quote, which is very fitting for the month of May when everyone wants to be done with school, teachers and students alike!

There are three good reasons to be a teacher--June, July, and August.
-Author Unknown

For more Thursday 13s, go here! Have a fabulous Thursday.

6 comments:

  1. Your last quote about June July and August reminded me of an old rhyme we used to chime on the last day of school when I was a kid. "No more pencils, no more books... no more teachers with dirty looks."

    I loved all the great quotes that you picked to honor the great profession of teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine was a little more 'polite'...schools out, schools out, teacher's let the kiddies out!...when said by a bunch of teenagers in the 60's ...but you had to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That William Ward quote is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often wish teachers were admired as much as sports heroes.
    I was just thinkiing about Mr. Greenberg today. If it hadn't been for him well I never would have gotten through that collge Algebra class.
    I played too.
    Happy Wanderings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't realize it was Teacher Appreciation week. I thought of all the excellent teachers my kids and I have had. Terrific quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. we were just talking about how ateacher can have an effect on many generations. My hubby and my kids use the term "waffle burn" to describe the creases on your skin from resting on atextured surface. I got that from my 3rd grade teacher!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs