Saturday, October 24, 2009

Happy birthday to my mom!


Today is my mother's birthday. There were brief and spontaneous thoughts earlier in the week that we might all spend it together, but alas, it was not to be. She is on her island (Mayne) and our family is headed for a day trip to Joseph. But, as ever, she is in our hearts and we wish her a wonderful birthday, knowing she is loved by many.

My mom is the wonderful combination of teacher, supporter, cheerleader and friend. I have learned so very much from her in my life, I have been loved like crazy and encouraged to circle the moon, and supported through good times and not so good times. Lucky lucky me.

One thing I remember learning from her very early on is that moms always take the ugliest piece of pie, or the piece of cake that has fallen over, or, worse case scenario, does without if we run out of cake or pie. It baffled me as a child, but I totally get it now. My mom was and is a wonderful hostess, making people feel comfortable in her home and caring for them. From her I got my love of nesting and homemaking, my love of cooking, my love of fabric and color and crafting, my love of reading and words, and my love of... life.

Happy birthday, Mama. Since you're a quote gal too, here are few about mothers that I especially enjoy:

I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life.
- Abraham Lincoln

My mother is a poem
I'll never be able to write,
though everything I write
is a poem to my mother.
-Sharon Doubiago

My mother is my root, my foundation. She planted the seed that I base my life on, and that is the belief that the ability to achieve starts in your mind.
-Michael Jordan

1 comment:

  1. Thank you many times over, dear girl. I feel so fortunate to have you for a daughter and your brother for my son. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs