Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Chickpea salad


This one is an old favorite from way back when. Well, a favorite from maybe 5 or so years ago... that's way back when, right? Anyway, I used to make it for husband during the early romance days (ah, sweet), and he always gave me high praise for it. Shucks.

I'm surprised I haven't made it and posted about it before, but I just haven't made it in eons. I can't actually remember where the recipe came from. I think a girlfriend made something similar at a book club meeting years ago, and I tried to recreate from memory and this is what I came up with. I poked around epicurious for awhile (5 years ago that's where I turned 9 times out of 10 for a recipe) but didn't see anything too close, so I'm pretty sure I'm not ripping someone off here!
Chickpea salad
3 cups chickpeas, cooked
1 8 oz. can diced green chiles
1/2 cup green onions, chopped
2 roma tomatos, chopped
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 Tbsp. lime juice
1/3 cup mayonnaise (I use a light version, horrors!)
Salt to taste

Very complicated: Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. I add them in the order I've listed, with mayo last. I stir in just enough to coat the other ingredients, so you can go a little lighter on the mayo if you like, adding as you go until you have the desired amount of creaminess.
Yummy and healthy(ish)!

1 comment:

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs