So, in no particular order, getting back into the Thursday Thirteen groove, here are 13 items I have too many of in my kitchen:
1. Spatulas. I've got green, white, clear, wooden handles, you name it. Overflowing the utensil pot.
2. Measuring spoons.
3. Muffin tins. 6 muffins at a time, 12 muffins at a time, we've got both. Times 2 or 3.
4. Cookbooks. See the picture above. Need I say more? I've got Nigella, Jamie, the whole Cook's Illustrated experience, Martha, Whole Foods, Dean & DeLuca, New Basics x 2, French Laundry, the list goes on. And the kicker? When I want to look up a recipe, where do I go. Yep. My friend the internet.
5. Spices. Oh my. The list goes on and on. Cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, allspice, cloves (whole and ground), dried thyme, dried basil, dried rosemary, ground sage, cumin (whole and ground), curry powder, chile powder, cayenne pepper, dried red chile seeds, poultry seasoning... and more!
6. Cupcake papers. You name the occasion, somehow I have the cupcake papers for it. Wilton loves me.
7. Cereal. I don't know how this has happened, but I think Costco is to blame. We are powerless against the pull of the super-sized box of Cheerios.
8. Cutting boards. I have the colored ones for meat, poultry, fish and vegetables. A couple of white ones, a number of wooden ones and some new really pretty green ones my husband got for me recently. Very sweet.
9. Ramekins. Between my love of creme brulee and my need (once upon a time) to have butter dishes on many tables at one time (catering), I am ramekin heavy.
10. Plastic tumblers. Short ones, tall ones, colored ones, clear ones.
11. Whisks. Small, tall, colored (green, aren't you surprised?), metal, rubber...
12. Placemats. Who knows when we might need to set the full dining room table for dinner? Must have full sets for all colors, of course. Yikes.
13. Tea towels. Again, a left over from the catering days when I could go through a couple dozen a day... don't they ever wear out?
But now that I'm better organized, I don't mind having too many of most of these things... though I could definitely put a few of those spatulas away for awhile!