Thursday, April 16, 2009

Thursday Thirteen: Thirteen things I have too much of in my kitchen

I was cleaning and organizing the kitchen this weekend, and re-realized that there are a number of items that I have a plethora of. Plethora. Don't get to use that word nearly enough. Anyway, I thought I'd list them. If you ask really nicely, I just might send you any number of the items below. Maybe not the spices... but definitely whisks or spatulas. Or hole-y tea towels (what do you normal people call them? Dish cloths? Drying towels? You know what I mean.)

So, in no particular order, getting back into the Thursday Thirteen groove, here are 13 items I have too many of in my kitchen:

1. Spatulas. I've got green, white, clear, wooden handles, you name it. Overflowing the utensil pot.

2. Measuring spoons.

3. Muffin tins. 6 muffins at a time, 12 muffins at a time, we've got both. Times 2 or 3.

4. Cookbooks. See the picture above. Need I say more? I've got Nigella, Jamie, the whole Cook's Illustrated experience, Martha, Whole Foods, Dean & DeLuca, New Basics x 2, French Laundry, the list goes on. And the kicker? When I want to look up a recipe, where do I go. Yep. My friend the internet.

5. Spices. Oh my. The list goes on and on. Cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, allspice, cloves (whole and ground), dried thyme, dried basil, dried rosemary, ground sage, cumin (whole and ground), curry powder, chile powder, cayenne pepper, dried red chile seeds, poultry seasoning... and more!

6. Cupcake papers. You name the occasion, somehow I have the cupcake papers for it. Wilton loves me.

7. Cereal. I don't know how this has happened, but I think Costco is to blame. We are powerless against the pull of the super-sized box of Cheerios.

8. Cutting boards. I have the colored ones for meat, poultry, fish and vegetables. A couple of white ones, a number of wooden ones and some new really pretty green ones my husband got for me recently. Very sweet.

9. Ramekins. Between my love of creme brulee and my need (once upon a time) to have butter dishes on many tables at one time (catering), I am ramekin heavy.

10. Plastic tumblers. Short ones, tall ones, colored ones, clear ones.

11. Whisks. Small, tall, colored (green, aren't you surprised?), metal, rubber...

12. Placemats. Who knows when we might need to set the full dining room table for dinner? Must have full sets for all colors, of course. Yikes.

13. Tea towels. Again, a left over from the catering days when I could go through a couple dozen a day... don't they ever wear out?

But now that I'm better organized, I don't mind having too many of most of these things... though I could definitely put a few of those spatulas away for awhile!

Happy Thursday!

5 comments:

  1. I love your list (and your blog)...how fun to have such a fully stocked kitchen. I'm the opposite, I don't have that many cooking utensils (even though I have five full sets of dishes...two families and lots of wedding gifts).

    I could use a few extra spatulas!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! Jamie and French Laundry I'd LOVE...even the whole Cook's Illustrated!!! And tea towels :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! Looks like you're not going to run out anytime soon! I love the cookbook one! Happy Thursday!

    Thursday 13 - edition 3
    Weekly Plans 4/13-4/20

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your list! Being a foody myself and a person who loves to cook and try out new recipes I can totally sympathize with you on this lol. Just yesterday my husband was making a comment about the number of cookbooks I own - I was too ashamed to admit that I always go to the internet as well lol. My weakness would definitely have to be kitchen gadgets though. Great list and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah kitchen utensils you some how keep accumulating them..not sure how but they keep appearing :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs