Sunday, June 14, 2009

Strawberry shortcake

Somethings just aren't ever the same after they've been commercialized... for some reason when I tweeted earlier today that I was going to go pile the whipped cream on strawberry shortcake (yes, apparently I did think that information needed to be shared...), I couldn't help but think of this...



When what I really meant was this:



Angles make all the difference, don't they? The photo above makes it look like I just might have been ladylike and delicate in regards to the whipped cream... below you can see most assuredly that I was not! But oh how yummy.



Here's the best shortcake recipe I've found. It's divine. It's from epicurious.

Orange and sour cream shortcakes
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
1 cup sour cream
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 425°F. and lightly butter 2 baking sheets. In a large bowl whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and blend in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. In a small bowl whisk together zest, sour cream, and milk and add to flour mixture. Stir mixture until it just forms a soft and sticky dough and drop into 12 mounds at 1-inch intervals onto prepared baking sheets. Pat dough to 1/2-inch thickness and bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until pale golden. Transfer shortcakes to a rack and cool. Shortcakes may be made 4 hours ahead and kept in airtight containers.

Top with your favorite berry combination and whipped cream. Or ice cream. Or both.

2 comments:

  1. OMG, that looks so delicious. I'm going to have to try making it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see that you make REAL shortcakes instead of buying angel food cake or pound cake. It always irritates me when people call those shortcakes.

    Your recipe sounds delicious, I'll have to try it sometime for sure!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs