Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Morels = morsels of yum


OK, there's a sight you probably won't often see on my blog: frying. Not that I don't love the fried "thing," I just try to avoid quadrupling my calories per bite. So I usually save that kind of decadence for eating out.

But in all the online research I did for morels, the deep-fried version kept coming up, over and over. It seemed like destiny!

Very simple:
10 morels
2 eggs, beaten
Bread crumbs
Vegetable oil for frying

I followed proper morel protocol and soaked them overnight. That helped loosen dirt bits and sand (yes, oddly, sand from the forest...), and then I stored them in the fridge between paper towel sheets. Nice and moist.

I cut the morels in half and dipped them in egg, then bread crumb and into the hot oil. A couple of minutes each side and they were good to go. And go they did!



We enjoyed these tasty tidbits with our first grillin' lunch of the summer. It was lovely--the weather was perfect to eat outside (inbetween storms last weekend) and the corn on the cob, sausages/hot dogs and grilled potato wedges went well with our mushroom treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs