Monday, May 4, 2009

Seth's Home Ec success!

Oh boy, does this bring back memories! Seth is currently in his six-week Home Ec rotation, and the benefits are immediately evident. Saturday morning he wanted to make the cinnamon treats the kids made in class last week, as well as a version of the Orange Julius too. (He is so my kid--he makes "versions" of things, even when he doesn't have all the ingredients. This will bite him in the butt sometime, but still, it's a great quality to have in the kitchen. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

I swear we made something very similar in Home Economics when I was in grade seven or so--cinnamon biscuity things. I think we called them "cinnamon rolls" but they didn't much resemble for me the heavenly yeasty things my Grandma Kandt made. Similarly, Seth called these cinnamon "pull-aparts," but in my book that usually implies a yeast dough. So, obviously no one trusts adolescents with yeast... not surprising. I trust very few adults with yeast. Just saying.
Seth's Cinnamon Pull Aparts
Biscuit dough
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 T butter
1 Tbsp cinnamon*
1/2 tsp water
In class they used a tube of Pillsbury biscuit dough. We did one better (sort of) here at home and used the lower-fat Bisquick mix.
Make up the biscuit dough, or undo the can--I do like that "poof" sound! Break off 2 inch balls of dough and roll them into rough biscuit shapes.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Put the brown sugar and butter in an 8-inch baking dish, and warm in the oven until the butter is melted. Stir the brown sugar and butter together, add the cinnamon and water and mix thoroughly.
Take the biscuit shapes and roll them around in the brown sugar and butter, making sure to cover all sides, until you have rolled all of them.
Bake for 10 minutes. This is a very specific instruction. Apparently when I said, "Just bake them until they're sort of golden and look done," this was deemed inappropriate kitchen activity (don't worry, I'll wear him down on this one too...). Thus the timer was set, they were pulled out at 10 minutes precisely, and they were yummy!
The orange-banana-julius-like smoothies were also quite lovely. It was a happy breakfast.

(*Many thanks to Grandma for the question, upon reading: "Now, do you put cinnamon in this?" Good question, Grandma! We missed that in the original posting.)

2 comments:

  1. maizy will be inspired when i show her this. perhaps he will make some for us this weekend??? yeah seth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO cute. I can't wait for my boys to do this too. How totally yummy (him and the cinnamon pull aparts!).

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs