Thursday, May 21, 2009

Thursday 13: A sure sign of summer: 13 potato salad recipes

I've gotten a little bit carried away this past week with potato salad. I thought I'd make one for a picnic on Saturday... so I boiled up a bunch of potatoes, more than we needed for one picnic-for-3. So then on Sunday I made up a couple of different kinds--customized for the husband and myself. Then finally for lunch I tossed in some asparagus spears and called it a 4th.

While pondering my Thursday 13 this week, and whether to even try and cram that in to an already-packed week, I realized I'm already more than a third of the way there!

So, here are some potato salad options to kick off the summer. I know it's not exactly rocket science to throw potatoes and whatever strikes your fancy into a bowl with some dressing and call it good--as the first four recipes will attest. (However, I have made many a potato salad over the years that just didn't "sing." The secret is in those additional flavors from vinegar, mustard, etc., it seems...) The other recipes I've included just shouted out to me from the interwebnets (or I have made the recipe already and can recommend it heartily!), and I know they will find a home on my table sometime soon. Scrumadum-delish. Summer is here!
Salt and vinegar potato salad
In homage to Kim, fan of all things salt and vinegar!

(Major tip that applies to all potato salads: If you want a flavor to really "take" in your potato salad, add it to the potatoes when they are still hot. They are like sponges and will just soak in the flavor. In this case, a white wine vinegar. White basalmic vinegar is also great.)

4 cups cubed boiled potatoes
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
1 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tsp celery salt/
Salt and pepper to taste
Pour half the vinegar over the boiled potatoes while they are still hot. Mix the rest of the vinegar with the mayonaise and sour cream and blend well. Toss with the potatoes and green onions, add the celery salt and additional salt and pepper as desired. Chill for an hour or so in the fridge so flavors blend nicely. Enjoy!
Note: I am very comfortable using lesser- or non-fat ingredients for my sour cream and mayonnaise. I know that is like heresy to some, but truth is, I just can't justify the full fat anymore and after awhile, your tastebuds are numb anyway. No, not really; I think you just get used to it.
Sher's Sunday special potato salad
Same as above, just with a couple of additions: 4 boiled eggs and 1/2 cup of chopped dill pickles, and half as much vinegar.

Husband's favorite potato salad
Same as first recipe, but with 1 cup diced radishes, 1 cup of chopped dill pickles and 1 cup of chopped garlic-stuffed Spanish olives, 4 egg whites, 1 Tbsp. brown mustard and half the vinegar.


4. Sher's special + 2 cups chopped steamed (and cooled) asparagus = rock solid yum yum.
5. Curried sweet potato salad. I might give the cranberries a pass with this recipe, but in general it sounds very good.
6. Blue cheese potato salad. I used to make this very frequently, back in the catering days. Even people who traditionally don't like blue cheese would eat this and love it. A big favorite with the husband too. Might need to make this over the long weekend...
7. Caesar potato salad. I love a Caesar salad, so this sounds right up my alley!
8. Mexican-style potato salad. This sounds like it would quickly become a family favorite.
9. Mediterranean potato salad. I remember the first time I had this variation on potato salad--in Vancouver while visiting dear friend Corinne during college... long time ago! It was a lovely visit, and I still remember the deli where we picked up a picnic lunch. This recipe looks close, but ours had red and green peppers along with the olives. Very tasty.
10. Mustardy potato salad. I think this would be good with our very own local Walla Walla Sweet Onion mustard!
11. Green Goddess potato salad. Courtesy of Oprah! I love a Green Goddess dressing... must give this a whirl soon.
12. Potato salad with peas. If I'd thought of it with my asparagus lunch this week, I would have added peas... a really great natural flavor combo with potato salad.
13. Mashed potato salad. Oh yeah!
Enjoy! And happy Thursday 13!




Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!



The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun!



Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

View More Thursday Thirteen Participants

8 comments:

  1. I love potato salad!! These ALL look so scrumptious.

    Happy Thirteening!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, must now go eat! These made me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. You made me hungry. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I confess I'm a potato salad lover and always use a bit of vinegar in my recipe because my mom did ;--)
    Methinks it's lunch time!
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a big fan of potato salad, and you've just given me 13 reasons to go to the grocery store this afternoon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What perfect timing for those Memorial Day BBQ's this weekend! Thanks - maybe this non-cook can be the hit of the party with a jazzy potato salad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! My husband loves my potato salad, but I'm ready for some new recipes - especially the German kind with the vinegar and bacon. Mashed potato salad sounds great too. Sounds like a summer filled with potato salad experimentation. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs