While this isn't exactly my "dark" side, I have been keeping a little list of things, as they come up, that don't resonate with me. A little of this, a little of that, some recent and pop-culture-y, some that have been in place for a very long time. If I told you how long I'd been working on the list, you'd undoubtedly laugh!
So, this week, 13 things that I don't "get."
1. Why will the 50 Shades of Gray thing just not die? Every time I think that the 15 minutes of exposure for that book is over, nope, it's back again, in some headline or parody.
2. Golden raisins. (This one is a long-lasting "don't get.") In anything, cooked or uncooked, it makes no difference to me. I like my raisins dark, not golden.
3. Twilight, vampire, zombies, goth. Any and all of that, no thanks. If it's undead, currently dead or never going to die, it's not my bag. (This is unrelated to No. 6, really.)
4. Tops with a high front and low back. This trend just seems backwards to me. Cleavage, people! What's it called in the back? Backage? And where's your bra? (I know, I'm starting to sound like an old lady. You kids and your crazy fashion. Ha.)
5. Chain jewelry, and really, really big jewelry. BIG. (And if you're really lucky, chain + big. Oh, baby.)
6. Kristin Stewart. (And Robert Pattinson. But we can leave him out of it so it doesn't feel like an anti-Twilight rant. It's not.) I don't get her, any appeal or attraction or anything. She's a lump of uncharismatic sullenness. I have a long-ish list of "don't get" celebrities, but I'll spare you the full rundown. Suffice it to say that Ms. Stewart is rather toward the top.
7. Negative energy. I don't get it, and I don't get why people are drawn to others with negative energy. When I am around it, I realize how little there is of that in my life, and I'm thankful. I saw someone recently that I don't frequently interact with, and from start to finish it was unpleasant. Not overly awful or anything, just subtle. Like grumpy cat. Why would I seek that out?
8. Soul patches. (Adventurous facial hair in general.) Nothing more to say on this topic.
9. Laziness. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for slothfulness--just ask husband about my weekend morning sleep-in-roll-over-sleep-some-more habits. Diligently applied downtime (activity at the zero level) is critical to regrouping for another week. But what I'm talking about is the no effort + over time equation. What? Huh? How do you expect to get ANYthing done? Drives me nuts.
10. Use of the word "whilst." I know, it's all the rage in this Downton Abbey world. But I don't get it. It's "while," people. WHILE. We are not in Great Britain. (This is especially prevalent on Facebook. Why, I do not know.)
11. Wishing. I just don't get wishing for things that aren't possible. I know that attribute can be perceived as a lack of "dreaming," but it really isn't that, in my book. If a door is closed, don't go pounding on it. Move on. Spend time working toward things that ARE possible. I suppose it's the pragmatism in my nature, but I find people who say "I wish" a lot very puzzling.
12. Performance art. I have long ago reconciled myself to being toward the uncultured end of the spectrum. (I heard that sharp intake of breath. You are very disappointed in me. Oops. You'll get over it.) The symphony? No thanks, I'll listen at home. The opera? Only if someone I know and love is performing (which puts the chances of attending at nil, but I didn't want to close the door entirely. Who knows what my dear nieces might chose for a future profession?) The ballet? Certainly. I'm not completely without class.
But performance art? I just don't get it. The gene that enjoys and appreciates it is somehow missing from me. The gene that could compel me to participate? That got transported to a galaxy far, far away.
13. Dreds. It's definitely a style thing, just not my style.
Don't get me wrong. If you are into these things, I say, "Yeah" for you. "Yippee!" even... But for me, not so much. Even little Miss SweetTea&Sunshine doesn't love *everything.*
Hope you're having a great day! In the comments, tell me what things you don't get, either... I'd love to hear them--maybe my list will grow!
For more Thursday 13s, go here.