Monday, August 15, 2011

Common Miracles, week #14:


 “Rejoicing in ordinary things is not sentimental or trite. It actually takes guts. Each time we drop our complaints and allow everyday good fortune to inspire us, we enter the warrior’s world.” 
– Pema Chodron

This week my Common Miracles are coming at you in list form. I am focusing on Pema's words: "Rejoicing in ordinary things" such as:

Painting a wall a really pretty color, enjoying the process of covering over another color, and the ability to be precise (most of the time). (Only having to do one coat feels like a miracle, too! Modern paint technology...)

The breeze. Until it really picks up into WIND, I love a breeze and the sound it creates. Having wheat on our acreage for the first time this year, I really loved the noise the wheat would make when the breeze would come through. Sometimes I felt like it was talking to me. (I know...)

Taking the time to have a more relaxed approach to getting up and going on mornings when that extra time is needed. Every once in awhile, I really feel the benefit of a slow start. And not beating myself up for NOT getting up and going immediately, that's good too.

Yesterday was the 45th anniversary of my parents, and the first anniversary of some dear friends. Remembering where we were one year ago, and the joy of that day... and also acknowledging the power and strength in a 45-year union. New love is lovely, but old love is truly inspiring. ("Old love is gold love, old love is best.")

I'm going to harvest tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans, squashes, basil... whatever else is going on out in our jungle. Love the harvesting process, and how each plant replenishes and re-produces so quickly.

Cooler mornings. This is my very favorite time of year. Between now and the holidays = bliss.

Cooler mornings mean more inside time, and I unpacked some projects I want to get done between now and Christmas. Oh, the happiness of fabric and color and even the concept of repurposing one thing into another--upcycling I think they're calling it these days, how hip!--I'm ready to spend some time in my crafty space again.

These are my miracles today, common though they may be...

I hope you are feeling like common miracles can be a part of your day too. What are you counting as miraculous today?

To see how the Common Miracle project began, go here.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, how beautiful this list is. So serene. It made me calm down just reading it!

    I love the breeze, too. I can't imagine how beautiful it must be to hear it rustle through wheat- I guess it's sort of like when the palm fronds gently move back and forth. It's a beautiful sound and I know when i go outside to watch the sunset tonight, I'll be listening for it!

    I have started to notice small hints that fall is coming- shadows in the afternoon, earlier sunsets, the pool is even getting a bit cooler. I welcome all of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was actually cooler here this morning. Finally! Could fall really be coming? We have a good month of heat left, but just the tiniest relief in the mornings is bliss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Old love is best...trust me. Thank you for your kind words.

    What are you painting? Which wall, what colour? So exciting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy that you love the sound of the breeze in the wheat...you are truly a prairie girl.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs