Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Curried egg salad: addictive stuff!


I am missing my friend Shauna today, you know the one that moved away to Southern California to be near family? Whatever, Shauna. We hope you're happy in the sweltering heat. And smog. And traffic. (Sniff. Wimper.)

Thinking about her reminded me of the lunch we had to say goodbye, and the curried egg salad we both went ga-ga for. It was one of those happy accidents where I intended to make one dish and ended up making another... I had my heart set on an asparagus egg salad, but there wasn't a stalk of asparagus to be found in town. I was surprised; usually you can make your peace with having warmed the earth another degree or two and procure some that's been flown in from Chile or Timbuktu, but there was simply none to be had.

So I had hard boiled eggs... what to do? I was already making hummus and had these fabulous crackers to go with them, so I thought I'd make some spreadable egg salad. Of course, not content to just let it be egg salad, I then extrapolated that if curried eggs are good (which they are, you curry doubters), then curried egg salad might be good too... and my-oh-my it was. Shauna loved it, I loved it, I think the rest of our lunching ladies enjoyed it as well.

Curried egg salad
8 eggs, boiled, cooled and peeled, chopped finely
1/3 cup green onions, chopped finely
2 Tbsp. mayo
1 Tbsp. milk
1 Tbsp. mango chutney (try to miss the chunky bits and just get the jam part)
2 tsp. lime juice
2 tsp. curry powder

Combine the eggs and green onions in a medium bowl. Mix the next five ingredients in a separate bowl (or blender) until very well combined. Add the dressing to the eggs and mix well. Chill for at least an hour, as that will combine the flavors thoroughly.

You can spread this on crackers or bread, however you would normally eat egg salad. I don't always need bread to put the egg salad on, I'm just fine with a bowl of it and a fork, really. Don't judge me; that's just the way I roll.

1 comment:

  1. Wow...looks good. Curry, yes! Eggs, yes! What's not to like?

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs