Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Black bean and corn salad


This salad is an old standby, and one that has many variations, as well. (It also falls into the "salad? salsa? who knows, who cares, it's just yummy" category.) I used to make this at least once a week in the old catering days, and also had a taco salad version on my delivered lunch menu that I still make for myself every now and again. And it's one of those flavor combinations I could eat very frequently; I just don't get tired of it. You know how some flavors you think about 10 bites in, yeah, great, whatever, that was fine but I don't need any more of it? Not this one (for me)!

Black bean and corn salad
4 cups of corn--can be frozen and thawed, or straight off the cob, steamed and cooled
2 cans of black beans
1/2 red pepper, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
1/2 cup green onions, chopped
1/2 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
3 Tbsp lime juice
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp ground cumin

Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and stir gently. Chill for an hour or two to let the flavors mingle, then stir again and serve.

Additions/variations to this salad that I particularly enjoy are:
* Avocado
* Grated cheese
* A dallop of sour cream
* Served on a bed of lettuce
* Scooped by tortilla chips


Well, now you know what I'm having for lunch today! Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs