Friday, January 21, 2011

Friday night grateful moment


For many things tonight, I am grateful...

Peace. It's a great thing to live in a country that is not actively AT war. Some days it may feel like we're a warring bunch, the way people talk, but we're not. Not really. And that's a very good thing. And even though sometimes it seems like we (the collective "we") have a hard time keeping the peace amongst ourselves, the truth (to me) is that peace is IN us. Not an outside factor. Not something we put on for a day or a week or a month as it suits us. IN us.

Quiet. I may love the city on occasion, but the country quiet makes me very happy in my soul.

A dear and supportive spouse. (I saw a couple walking along today where their disconnect was palpable, and I felt extra fortunate to be where I am, with whom I am with.)

A son who is growing up into a thoughtful and kind young man.

Health. I don't take that for granted. This week, in passing, I saw the doctor who did my thyroidectomy in 2003, and it brought back memories of a less-well  time, and how glad I am to be healthy and energetic (but not too much so, don't worry, Ma!) and well.

Sleep. Have had some hilarious dreams lately--what's the theory on those ones where you miss deadlines?--but in general, the sleep time is a good time. Ah.

Flowers. Check out those pretties above... such a lovely gesture. Thank you, MJ.

Family. For my near and dear, and the faraway and dear as well. I am blessed with lovely inlaws and extended family... just simply blessed.

Rainy days. I loved seeing it pour down today... must be because we don't get a ton of that kind of weather around here. My Oregon friends keep making duck comments on Facebook, so I'm pretty sure they're sick of this weather, but I still like to hear the rain against the windows... (Don't get me wrong, I'll be happy about the sunshine when it comes around too, sooner than later. But for today, rain seemed right.)

Quotes that inspire and move me, and remind me of what's important:

“We’re bound to run into obstacles in life. We might trip, and we might fall. But don’t let these obstacles put you down, and keep your head from looking up. Because the best things in life comes to those who never allow obstacles to dampen their spirit. The best things in life comes to those who always keep their heads held high. Don’t miss your rainbow because of a tiny rock." (Can't find who this should be attributed to. If you know, please let me know! And you know I had to save that rainbow reference...)

Oh, and this one! I do like this one:

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” -Aldous Huxley

And lastly...

"One is happy as a result of one's own efforts, once one knows of the necessary ingredients of happiness--simple tastes, a certain degree of courage, self-denial to a point, love of work, and, above all, a clear conscience. Happiness is no vague dream, of that I now feel certain." -George Sand

Friendship. I'm so grateful for my friends and their love and support. For a fun girly birthday party for a close friend tomorrow night, for surprises and cake and fondue too! And for emails and texts and  phone calls and all the many ways we keep in touch, thank you all. So much.

For the weekend. Which has within it's two short days so many of the things I'm grateful for, in spades.

And for fun music... Zooey can do no wrong, in my humble opinion. Here's the latest from She&Him:



And, because once I get started with the She&Him, it's hard to stop, here's another...



Happy weekend! What's on top for your weekend? Hope it's a good one.

1 comment:

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs