Sunday, June 27, 2010

Bits of My Weekend: Volume 18

V ery mellow weekend around here... as a result, I didn't do too well with the camera. This really will be "bits" of my weekend...

In true "Sher" fashion, I underestimated how long my recovery from the wisdom tooth yank would take and had thought I'd be bouncing along swimmingly by Friday evening, and definitely by Saturday. That was not to be. I don't think I've slept so much in one day in quite a while... quite nice, but I do think I baffled husband. He'd come in and see me sleeping, leave for a couple of hours, come back, and sure enough, there I'd be, still sleeping. I have to say, though, that I think all that sleep went toward a good cause. I am feeling better tonight than since the glorious extraction on Thursday, and I'm sure each day this week will be better and better...

Regardless of how I'm feeling, cherries still need to be picked, right? These were all quite easy pickin' while standing on the ground... I think everything from ladder height has already been sacrificed to the birds. There are more out there for me to pick, but I just got enough for a cobbler, as I have yet to think biting into a cherry sounds like a good idea.

The theme of the weekend really was: "what's soft enough for Sher to eat?" I did smoothies until I was fruited out--every possible combination of blueberry, strawberry, nectarine, watermelon, banana and yogurt. And don't get me wrong, I'm not really complaining. These were very yummy smoothies. But after awhile, I just wanted something MORE. Something to chew. I started fantasizing about tortilla chips, for crying out loud. And at the movies on Sunday, I just stood and inhaled the popcorn scent... not for me...

Well, to supplement the smoothies, Friday night I mixed a goodly amount of jack and cheddar (and a little queso) into polenta and that was sublime. Saturday I made scrambled eggs with cream cheese and cheddar. Quite yummy. Then this afternoon I thought I really should have something with vegetables, so I cut up a couple of zucchinis with my mandoline and sauteed them with finely chopped asparagus, cut corn off one cob, and a cup of quartered grape tomatoes. And because cheese is the sub-theme to the weekend, I threw in a generous handful of parmesan, and some pine nuts as well... and half a cup of half-and-half. Yeah! It was wickedly wonderful. And all those vegetables, right?! I made sure they got super-soft--more so than I normally would. Divine.

And finally, the cherry cobbler. The best cobbler recipe ever, I'll say it yet again. And with cherries straight from the tree, it was a lovely finish to our Sunday.

A little yard work, a little movie time (Knight and Day... okay, but nothing to get all worked up over. Could have been better, could have been worse... nothing like a ringing endorsement!), a little nap... OK, well, a lot of naps. And most important, a whole lotta sunshine! Doesn't get much better than that. Hope your weekend was lovely too.

For more Bits of My Weekend, go here.

1 comment:

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs