Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Midweek inspiration: The opposite of Wordless Wednesday

This letter has been making the interweb rounds lately, and I can't help but share further. I often say here that I love words and all that can be conveyed with words... However, I think this guy may have an edge up on me, even though he claims to only "like" words!

Dear Sir:

I like words. I like fat buttery words, such as ooze, turpitude, glutinous, toady. I like solemn, angular, creaky words, such as straitlaced, cantankerous, pecunious, valedictory. I like spurious, black-is-white words, such as mortician, liquidate, tonsorial, demi-monde. I like suave "V" words, such as Svengali, svelte, bravura, verve. I like crunchy, brittle, crackly words, such as splinter, grapple, jostle, crusty. I like sullen, crabbed, scowling words, such as skulk, glower, scabby, churl. I like Oh-Heavens, my-gracious, land's-sake words, such as tricksy, tucker, genteel, horrid. I like elegant, flowery words, such as estivate, peregrinate, elysium, halcyon. I like wormy, squirmy, mealy words, such as crawl, blubber, squeal, drip. I like sniggly, chuckling words, such as cowlick, gurgle, bubble and burp.

I like the word screenwriter better than copywriter, so I decided to quit my job in a New York advertising agency and try my luck in Hollywood, but before taking the plunge I went to Europe for a year of study, contemplation and horsing around. I have just returned and I still like words. May I have a few with you?

Robert Pirosh


3 comments:

  1. when I clicked on the link I wasn't surprised to see he wrote for the Marx Bros! Loved them, especially Harpo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to see other people enjoy the English language so much. Bet he likes the rhythm of Mr. Shakespeare too! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it! It makes me want to read a lot more. BTW, I have a new blog...Mommy with a Cape! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs