Sunday, February 5, 2012

Weekend link love

This internet round-up starts a little deep and ends with complete fluff. Just a warning. I thought about rearranging links, but figured you could handle the digression. Here are a few things that have caught my eye in the past week or so:

What's wrong with the teenage mind? Need I say more?

Two posts really spoke to me from my feeds: A reminder that things can change any day: Life is short, and this one, What I know now, about the little and big nuances that make up who we are.

The questions you ask yourself on a daily basis determine your focus, and your focus determines your results. Maybe that sounds a little self-helpy, but this post about 10 questions to ask yourself daily is a good straightforward way to look ahead.

What's wrong with the teenage mind? Hmmm. Need I say more? Thanks for the link, Kim. It's taken me a couple of years to catch on that indeed I DO have a teen, but I'm there now, and adjusting accordingly.

A blog I follow about a young man who suffered very devastating injuries in a car accident a few years back, Pray for Ian, posted that they're doing a fundraiser with these T-shirts. I thought I'd spread the word just a little further. Ian and Larissa are a sweet, God-fearing couple trying to make their way in this altered reality.

I somehow let today slip by without officially noting that it was World Nutella Day. I have lately been taken by this site that posts every food holiday and what day it is celebrated. Rather fun to know when Soup Day is, or Carrot Cake Day, just in case you were looking for menu ideas, you know.


Piecaken. This (above) must be attempted. Sooner rather than later. To not try would be completely unAmerican. (If you are of other nationality, you can just bring your distainful looks and come have piecaken at my house, you know you will.)

Bagel making, coming up!

Catching up on Slate: Wished-for changes to the modern keyboard (I completely concur on the need for an em dash!).

A couple of posts relative to the faith-filled life: the differences between religion and the gospel (drawn from the sermons of Tim Keller, yeah!) and a post by Donald Miller about church leadership, which I really appreciated.

Ever wanted to know who the top 100 jewelry sellers on Etsy are? Here they are!

So the Downton Abbey obsession continues... a Facebook friend posted a quiz just today: "Which Downton Abbey character are you?" with some humorous questions to answer. I turned up as Anna (the head housemaid, if you're not yet a fan) and Alan came up Matthew Crawley (duh, of course! Matthew's the new heir and one of the main men.). Take the quiz yourself. I'd love to know which character you are!

And further down the soapy end of the spectrum is the new-ish ABC show Revenge. Pretty much fluff of the finest fluff. I find this fan tribute video quite campy and humorous.



And since I can't actually bring myself to post anything fluffier than that last bit, I'll just call it good with that!

Hope you have enjoyed a lovely weekend, and that wherever you are you got to enjoy a bit more sunshine than we had. Other than a glorious two-hour sunshine break today, we wallowed in a bowl of fog all weekend. Ready for the inversion to end, for sure.

13 comments:

  1. Love love love these. I can't imagine what it will be like when Gracie is a teenager. It will either be a breeze or really dramatic- that's how it goes. We're in a "weepy" phase at the moment. It doesn't happen often, but when something triggers her (anything from the mention of "talking about feelings" to being told she needs her nails filed or just something she sees on TV) she begins to weep, silently. Then it passes. It's heartbreaking, but at times it can be really ridiculous, like when I asked her to taste a chickpea the other day. No tantrum, no "I don't want to!", just tears.

    And from the "A Design So Vast": LOVE this: "The central task of adulthood, for many of us, is letting go of how we thought our lives were going to be." Amen, amen, amen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had weepy here as well... thankfully that phase passes!

      And yes, isn't that line pure gold? That really resonated.

      Delete
  2. I'm looking for inspiration and hope in the teen article, with one in it and three coming up behind. Here's to surviving it, and hopefully enjoying those developing brains in the process!

    And I'll happily come over to sample your piecaken. Any time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we should make a piecaken together this summer?! And you'll rock the teen years, I know it. You have a couple to warm up on, and then a couple to get right! Ha. I'm kidding, you have marvelous boys.

      Delete
  3. Haven't read the teen article yet because I am laughing so hard over the Picaken! Oh my word. I went to the blog and got the whole scoop. So, so, so funny I had to put it on facebook.

    Last night on my blog I mentioned that whoever read should pick up a book that would make them smile. This takes the 'cake'.

    Thank you for your reading material, yet again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thought you might like this, from one of the perfume blogs I read! http://www.nstperfume.com/2012/02/04/lazy-weekend-poll-scent-the-cast-of-downton-abbey/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is hilarious! I learned something new today--had NO idea there was such a thing as a perfume blog!! And I rarely wear/change/experiment with scent, so I'd be lost on where to start with assigning a scent to the characters, but fun that someone gave it a stab.

      Delete
  5. I am trying to be patient while waiting for this incredible Piecaken. After all, my word for 2012 is FASTER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dropped a hint to your wife (above). Hopefully you'll get a piecaken soon!! If not, you could always come visit WW... ahem.

      Delete
    2. And if I make it I will need some guests to come help eat it, won't I? Ahem...

      Delete
  6. "Release the Piecaken!" Funny! I thought no food combo could top deep-fried candy bars.:)

    I am loving Downton Abbey, too. Quiz--I came up as Mary Crawley then re-took it changing the answers to 2 questions I was a bit iffy on and came up as Anna. Saw this tweet today and it made me laugh: "Sometimes when I'm watching Downton Abbey I think they're all going to break out into a spontaneous game of Clue." Yup, me, too.

    Have a good week, and never fear, we had sun in Seattle so it must be coming your way soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Piecaken. wow!! I read the linked post and am amazed at jamie's perseverance. Her piecaken looks amazing! Not sure if I am brave enough to try it though.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs