Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Roasted butternut squash salad

This was inspired by an Ina Garten recipe I saw in the local paper a week or so ago. Being a butternut squash fanatic AND a hearty salad freak, this salad was made for me. Well, it looked good on paper anyway. But this time the pantry shelf and the dream didn't align, so adaptation was needed. And it turned out very well. Yum-o.

Butternut squash salad
Arugula, washed
Butternut squash, peeled and cubed, roasted and cooled
Pomegranate seeds
Walnuts

Dressing
2 T. olive oil
4 T. white balsamic vinegar
1T. concentrated pomegranate juice
1 T. Walla Walla Sweet Onion mustard
Whisk together and set aside.

Layer as you will. This is one where you can set the proportions to your individual tastes. I layered the arugula followed by maybe a cup of butternut squash cubes, about a half-cup pomegranate seeds (I added more later--I can rarely have too many pomegrante seeds!) and maybe a 1/3 cup chopped walnuts. Some parmesan or even goat cheese would also have been good, but I didn't think about that until I was already halfway through. (I know, shocking coming from the Cheese Queen!) After you've layered, drizzle the dressing over and enjoy!

This was a lovely supper!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs