Friday, January 16, 2009

Friday night grateful moment

Peaceful and quiet around the house right now, and that's a good thing. I've been making a lot of soup lately, more of that to come! Tis winter, so warmth is good. So good. And, there's always hot chocolate... just had some of that. So my tummy's warm and I'm grateful...

* Grateful for the variation in the weather. If that fog had come and just stayed... no thanks. We're cold, but the fog has lifted and maybe there will be a little snow? If we're going to be this cold, it would be nice to see a little of the fluffy stuff.

* The three of us had a home day on Thursday. Some un-wellness in the fam, some run-down feeling... it was just nice to have a day together, not a weekend day. Not grateful for the illness (rather, grateful it's all better), but grateful for our family togetherness.

* Grateful for a son who reminds me at times, in his own sweet way, what the right thing to do is. Much as I'm chagrined at being shown the way by a 12-year-old, I'm still grateful. (Husband does this for me too, but I kind of expect it from him!)

* Grateful for gnocchi. Had a lovely lunch with girlfriends; and the sweet potato gnocchi and a mixture of root vegetables was just heavenly.

* Grateful the dogs are all getting along, for the most part.

* Grateful things are progressing with the annual volunteer fundraising. Feeling good about progress in the face of dismal economic times... this is going to be a tough year to raise money, I think. But I'm grateful so far that more people have been open to talking, rather than just shutting the door.

* Grateful that January is half over. Not to be counting down to green grass, but come on... let's get this spring ball rolling. (This is not necessarily in complete contradiction to the first item above. If we're going to have winter, let's have winter. But if we have a choice, let's move it along to spring. Chop chop.)

* Grateful for skype, so that Corinne and I could "watch" the Golden Globes together. So she could tease me about giving Pierce a pass on his singing in Mamma Mia... and we could admire Eva Mendes' necklace... and question Renee Zellweger's fashion choices... just share happy, catty comments!

* And in the humor department, I'm grateful that every once in awhile something gets passed along that's actually funny. I checked this out online to see where it originated and everywhere I found it, it was listed as "I got an email from a friend." It's truly funny, at least to us working moms!

Life Lesson #45893: Always check your child's homework before it gets to school!
When asked to draw a picture of what they wanted to be when they grew up, second-grader "Sarah" turned in the lovely drawing shown below. Needless to say, the teacher was a bit surprised; Mrs. Smith had always seemed like such a conservative woman. So she sent a note home to the girl's mother asking for clarification as to the picture's meaning.




(Here's the reply the teacher received the following day)
Dear Mrs. Jones, I wish to clarify that I am not now, nor have I ever been, an exotic dancer. I work at Home Depot and I told my daughter how hectic it was last week before the blizzard hit. I told her we sold out of every single shovel we had, and then I found one more in the back room, and that several people were fighting over who would get it. Her picture doesn't show me dancing around a pole. It's supposed to depict me selling the last snow shovel we had at Home Depot. From now on I will remember to check her homework more thoroughly before she turns it in.
Sincerely, Mrs. Smith

* And last but certainly not least I am SO grateful for the plane landing in the Hudson yesterday with everyone safe. I was reading about the pilot tonight and just thinking about how I want him to be my pilot on every flight I take, from now on, forever. Do you think that's possible? What poise and calm under stressful circumstances! Kudos.
Happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs