1. Enjoyed a long-awaited lunch with some girlfriends yesterday, who hooked me up (in the best possible way) with another local blogger who I had only met "online" until then. We had a blast chatting and laughing away the afternoon until I had to go back to work... probably should not have checked email at the end there. Grrr.
This is Lisa, a fabulous local blogger, and I. Check her out!
2. Meanwhile, I have this to say about the 7 Habits I posted yesterday. Read them. Live them. You'll probably whine less about a lot of things, just sayin'. And by you, I mean me. (And I mean you too.)
3. There was once a theory floated by a certain former S.O. that I do not possess an excess of empathy. But, then I took a rather extensive personality test, which refuted that notion and I have basked in my expansive, empathic nature ever since. Then, more recently, I took the StrengthsFinder test and found out I'm Responsible. That's my No. 1 trait. With a capital R. Who knew? (Not me.)
4. Our lovely neighbors, the Norris family, have a baby goat. I went and visited the other afternoon and was treated to some hopping and skipping around. Precious Lily.
5. I find myself very amusing when I'm mad/pissed/annoyed, like great humor is just rolling off my tongue. However, I don't think that's a universally held belief in my household...
6. Meanwhile, a confession: I watch Real Housewives of NYC and that I think Ramona is completely cuckoo for cocoapuffs. Loopers. Gonza. Whackadoodle. I know, you're still reeling from the idea that I watch trash TV, but I'm sure you'll get over it. (I used to watch The Love Boat.) This is how I'm able to reassure husband that I'm low maintenance. (Yes, because the spectrum is Ramona to me, no middle ground. Makes perfect sense to me.)
7. I'm in need of my second cup of coffee... My randomness is waning. Oh, wait. I wore a hand-me-down dress from my Grandma yesterday (you can see it in the picture above). And felt the need to share that fact with, oh, every single person I saw. Over-sharer, who? Yes, I share the style sense of a 93-year-old... well, probably not. That dress MUST have arrived in her closet via an aunt or my mom, and I'm not sure she ever wore it. But still, made a great story.
8. I need a better self-censor. Occasionally, things fly out of my mouth that should. NOT. Maybe a two-second delay on the dubbing of my life? Now there's some technology I could get behind.
9. Speaking of Marissa Mayer... Oh wait, we weren't. We were talking about technology. I have a bit of a girl crush right now. It started when I was reading I'm Feeling Lucky, the story of the 59th Google employee (who was NOT Marissa Mayer, of course. She was the 20th hire.). Anyway, Marissa is mentioned a lot in the book and comes off as quite competent, opinionated, hard working and loyal. So when I heard, within hours of finishing the book, that she was going to Yahoo as CEO, I took it upon myself to read as much about her as I could. Hence, girl crush. She kinda rocks. I hope she is able to do good things at Yahoo, who I really can't remember using a service of. Ever.
10. The apricots are ripening, but an odd thing is that they look--from a distance--much riper than they are. I pick a few, and they aren't nearly as "done" as I initially imagine, looking up at the tree. I say that, and of course a 100-degree day will come along and BOOM, they'll all be on the ground. True story.
11. Do your feet swell up in the heat? Me too.
12. I alternate between wishing I didn't need sleep, and wishing I could sleep for days. Hmm. Maybe I should try for a good eight hours as a compromise. Brilliant thinking!
13. July 19. Not a bad place to be, for a mom who is counting the days until July is o.v.e.r.
Hope your July is going well! Happy Thursday.
For more Thursday 13s, go here.